Report 2014-602 Recommendation 5 Responses
Report 2014-602: High Risk Update—California Department of Technology: Lack of Guidance, Potentially Conflicting Roles, and Staffing Issues Continue to Make Oversight of State Information Technology Projects High Risk (Release Date: March 2015)
Recommendation #5 To: Technology, California Department of
To help ensure the independence and objectivity of IPO analysts working in the oversight and consulting division, CalTech should develop a policy outlining expectations for independence and objectivity while performing oversight of IT projects.
Annual Follow-Up Agency Response From October 2016
In working with California State Auditor (CSA), ITPOD had completed an updated version of the Principles and Expectations document with additional content on the definition and subject of "independence". This updated document will be forwarded to CSA for closure of this recommendation.
- Completion Date: October 2016
California State Auditor's Assessment of Annual Follow-Up Status: Fully Implemented
1-Year Agency Response
ITPOD has established a Principles & Expectations document for all staff. (See attachment) Among a number of important expectations, this document states that ITPO managers must understand and maintain their independence while performing project oversight work. This is now provided to every new staff member and signed by both the staff person and their manager. ITPOD has also included the topic of "independence" as a standing agenda item in our regular weekly staff meetings on Friday. (See attachment) We encourage the staff to share their successes and challenges in maintaining their independence.
- Completion Date: November 2015
- Response Date: March 2016
California State Auditor's Assessment of 1-Year Status: Partially Implemented
Caltech's "Principles & Expectations" document lacks a definition of independence, and it does not address how IPO analysts will maintain their independence while performing oversight of IT projects.
- Auditee did not address all aspects of the recommendation
6-Month Agency Response
Activity is progressing in developing a new policy of expectations for IPO analysts.
- Estimated Completion Date: Dec 2015
- Response Date: September 2015
California State Auditor's Assessment of 6-Month Status: Pending
60-Day Agency Response
- Change the name of the IT Project Oversight and Consulting Division (ITPOC) to IT Project Oversight Division (ITPOD) - partially complete
- Develop a policy for ITPOD staff to follow - in process
- Add the concept of independence as a standing item for discussion on the ITPOD staff meeting agenda - completed
- Incorporate the independence concept into the scripts for each stage referenced above - not started
- Estimated Completion Date: 12/31/2015
- Response Date: May 2015
California State Auditor's Assessment of 60-Day Status: Partially Implemented
Agency responses received are posted verbatim.