2017-107 Audit Scope and Objectives
Santa Clara County Registrar of Voters
The audit by the California State Auditor will provide independently developed and verified information related to the Santa Clara County Registrar of Voters (registrar's office) for the most recent six-year period (2010 through 2016), and will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Review and evaluate the laws, rules, and regulations significant to the audit objectives.
- Review the registrar's office's policies, procedures, and practices regarding review and distribution of election related materials—including sample ballots, election pamphlets and official ballots—and determine whether they comply with relevant legal requirements and are adequate to identify and prevent errors.
- Determine whether the registrar's office has contingency plans for when election-related problems occur or are discovered and, if so, determine whether those plans are effective.
- Review and evaluate the registrar's office's oversight of its vendors as it relates to such activities as printing or mailing of election documents including ballots, sample ballots, and voter information guides, among others.
- Review a selection of election errors that occurred in the past six years, including instances attributed to vendors, to evaluate the following:
- The corrective actions the registrar's office took to address the errors and evaluate whether those actions comply with internal policies, procedures, practices, and contingency plans.
- The registrar's office's efforts to prevent similar errors from occurring in the future.
- The effectiveness of outreach and communications used by the registrar's office to inform voters of errors.
- Review and assess any other issues that are significant to the audit.
California State Auditor's Office