Report 2017-032 Recommendation 15 Responses
Report 2017-032: Clery Act Requirements and Crime Reporting: Compliance Continues to Challenge California's Colleges and Universities (Release Date: May 2018)
Recommendation #15 To: San Jose, California State University
To ensure that it does not underreport crime statistics in its annual security reports, San Jose State should create and begin following written procedures by August 2018 that clearly describe the Clery Act crime identification processes it will follow. These processes should include maintaining contemporaneous lists of Clery Act crimes that occur.
6-Month Agency Response
SJSU has completed the written procedures to ensure no underreporting of crime statistics.
This strengthened procedure is now added to our Manual of Procedures for Clery Act reporting.
We are submitting a copy of the strengthened procedure via separate email to email@example.com
- Completion Date: September 2018
- Response Date: November 2018
California State Auditor's Assessment of 6-Month Status: Fully Implemented
60-Day Agency Response
- The campus is in the process of creating and filling a position for a campus Clery Director. That individual will work with current staff to create written procedures that clearly describe the Clery Act crime identification the campus will follow.
- Currently we have begun to keep 'contemporaneous lists' of Clery Act Crimes as back up documentation as a result of the recent audit. Implemented May 2018.
- Full implementation expected by Dec. 2018
- Estimated Completion Date: 12/31/2018
- Response Date: July 2018
California State Auditor's Assessment of 60-Day Status: Pending
Agency responses received are posted verbatim.