Who are we?
The people of California rely on us to ensure the effective and efficient use and management of public funds and programs. We provide nonpartisan, accurate, and timely assessments of California government’s operational and financial activities. Our recommendations lead to saving the State millions of taxpayer dollars each year and helps make sure that California government is held accountable to the highest standards.
Why should you join us?
- You have exceptional leadership skills and want to lead a small team dedicated to providing excellent customer service.
- You have an analytical mind and enjoy having variety in your work.
- You want to be part of an agency that makes a difference for Californians and future generations.
- You desire an annual salary range of $73,488 - $91,296.
What is the position?
As the Business Services Manager, you manage a team dedicated to supporting the day-to-day business services functions (contracting, purchasing and procurement, facility management, space planning, records management, property control, and the reception desk) at the California State Auditor's Office. You are a working supervisor responsible for supervising subordinate staff as well as personally conducting the more complex analytical work. As the Business Services Manager, you use good judgment to produce accurate, high quality work products; establish and maintain positive working relationships; and demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills.
What will you do?
- Plan, organize, manage, and oversee a team responsible for the implementation of the procurement and contract activities for the office.
- Develop, maintain, and implement procurement policies and procedures; provide technical support, consultation, training, and policy guidance.
- Research, develop, and execute contracts and agreements such as Interagency Agreements, Personnel Services Contracts, and Maintenance Agreements. Develop Request for Offers (RFO), Requests for Proposals (RFP), Invitation for Bids (IFB), and oversee the bid and contract award process.
- Plan, organize, manage, and oversee a team responsible for the implementation of the facilities and equipment management functions for the office. Manage facility maintenance requests and projects, oversee and provide technical expertise on space planning, office design and layout, equipment and furniture needs, repairs, and office move requests.
- Provide leadership, mentoring, training, and professional development to staff. Manage office priorities and workload to ensure there is adequate coverage and uninterrupted workflow.
- Monitor, organize, direct, and evaluate the quality, quantity and effectiveness of the business services unit and make changes to ensure a productive environment.
Who are you?
- You have superb leadership skills and are eager to apply those skills to a dedicated team.
- You have experience developing and executing contracts.
- You have strong analytical skills with demonstrated ability to quickly evaluate complex issues and identify multiple options for resolution.
- You have the ability to build rapport with internal and external stakeholders which you need to push your work forward.
- You have strong written and oral communication skills.
- You possess strong organizational skills, time management skills and ability to self-manage in an environment with multiple projects with moving deadlines.
- You are proficient in Microsoft Office products and using track changes in Microsoft Word.
- You are resilient and do not give up, keeping your eye on the end result while working under pressure.
How do I join?
The California State Auditor is part of the merit-based California civil service selection system. The civil service selection system consists of two simple steps: exams and hiring. This job announcement is part of the hiring step in the process. Details on taking the examination can be found on CalHR's website.
Even if you have not taken the exam, you can apply for the position but must complete the exam process prior to participating in a hiring interview. To be considered for the position, submit a completed STD. 678 and statement of qualifications (a one page statement or letter highlighting your experience that demonstrate how you are qualified for the position) via your CalCareer account or by mail:
California State Auditor
Human Resources Office
621 Capitol Mall, Suite 1200
Sacramento, California 95814
Current state workers with eligibility are encouraged to apply.
The Fine Print:
Any applicant receiving a conditional job offer will be subject to a background check, fingerprinting and an inquiry to the California Department of Justice to disclose criminal records prior to appointment. State Auditor's Office employees are excluded from collective bargaining. The State of California is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation. It is an objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free state work place. Any applicant for state employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the state, the rules governing civil service and the special trust placed in public servants.